I love Malay food and my all time favourite food is nasi lemak. Nasi lemak often comes with fragrant rice cooked with coconut milk, ikan bilis, peanuts, slices cucumbers and sambal. For those who wish to add dishes to go together with nasi lemak, fried eggs, curry chicken, rendang chicken, sambal squids and mutton curry are some of the local choices.
To cook yourself sambal squid with nuts, you will need the following ingredients:-
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 spoon of tamarind sauce
- 125ml of coconut milk
- salt and sugar
- 3 spoons of crushed peanuts
- dried squids
- red onions (big and small) and garlic
- shrimp paste
- chili paste
- Start by heating up the oil in a skillet and stir in the red onions, shrimp paste and chili paste until it is fragrant.
- Add in the tamarind sauce, coconut milk, salt and sugar for taste.
- Lower the fire and continue cooking until the sauce thickens. Then add in the crushed peanuts.
- Add in the squids and cook for another 2 minutes. Then remove from heat and serve it with rice or nasi lemak.