Abalone soup are commonly served during the Chinese New Year. As abalone is a very expensive ingredient, a good recipe is necessary. The abalone itself doesn't have any taste, therefore correct ingredients must be use to enhance the taste of abalone.
- 1/2 cup canned abalone, sliced
- 1/3 cup bamboo shoot, sliced
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms (prepared by soaking in hot water for ten minutes, then squeeze and remove stems and slice)
- 1/2 lb chinese greens, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths (bok choy)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- dried scallops
- 1 egg
- First bring broth to a boil.
- If you are making your own broth, boil chicken bones and pork ribs together for 2 hours. Remove the oil before moving to the next step.
- Add green vegetables and boil for another 2 minutes. Then add mushrooms, dried scallops and bamboo shoots and boil for another 5 minutes or more.
- Finally add abalone before serving. Break raw egg into soup and let set 5 minutes, then stir into soup. Serve it hot.