The steam method is the best way to cook a fish. However, if the fish is not fresh, it is better to shallow fry it or cook it with sauces in order to eliminate the fishy smell of the fish. I prefer to steam rather than to fry my fishes as it is easier to prepare and to cook. Here are the ingredients and methods to cook a steamed fish.
- 1 medium sized whole white fish fillet, gutted and scales removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 slices fresh ginger, julienned
- 2 large spring onions, julienned
- chopped cilantro, to sprinkle over top
- Rinse and drain fish. Score the skin at 1/2 inch intervals on both sides.
- Place the fish on a large plate, and sprinkle with salt inside and out.
- Place the fish in a steamer basket and place in a wok, or use a regular Western steamer pot.
- Sprinkle the fish evenly with the ginger slices, then cover with a lid.
- Steam the fish on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix soy sauce and vinegar.
- When the fish is flaky and cooked, place it on a serving plate.
- Pour sauce over fish.
- Toss out any water from the wok, and add oil and green onions.