Thursday, April 24, 2014

Apple Strudel Recipe

Recently I made a trip to Bakeoven at Sri Hartamas. As the restaurant was pack that morning and it was the first time I was at Bakeoven, I thought to myself that this could be a good deal restaurant. Little did I know that almost everything we ordered turns out quite badly. I ordered myself a big breakfast while my husband ordered the fried spaghetti and apple strudel. Their apple strudel's texture was very mushy and it wasn't sweet enough. So I took the trouble to look for an apple strudel recipe online and this is what I found. I did some modification here and there, but it does taste so much better than theirs. Anyway, enough of my ranting, enjoy.

Ingredients:

  • 6 cups apples, tart, sliced
  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 1 lemon, rind of, grated
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup almonds, ground
  • 8 ounces phyllo pastry, 1/2 box
  • 1 3/4 cups butter
  • 1 cup finely crushed breadcrumbs

Cooking Method:

  1. Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds; set aside.
  2. Place 1 phyllo leaf on a kitchen towel and brush with melted butter.
  3. Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again.
  4. Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 cup of butter.
  5. Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 cup of butter until lightly browned.
  6. Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered phyllo leaves.
  7. Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border.
  8. Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll fashion.
  9. Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp crumbs.
  10. Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudel.
  11. Bake the strudels at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...