Thursday, June 27, 2013

Teriyaki Unagi

Miso soup and chawanmushi was always my must order dish whenever I go to a Japanese restaurant. But after trying unagi for a few times, teriyaki unagi become my number one, must order dish. My husband on the other hand, loves salmon sashimi. I love salmons too but I can't take a lot of raw food. So either teriyaki unagi or the unagi rolls are my favourite items on a Japanese restaurant menu. Unagi doesn't comes cheap and a nice unagi in a descent Japanese restaurant in Malaysia may cost me at least RM30.00. If you are a bit adventures, you may consider trying to cook the teriyaki unagi yourself. Here is one recipe I found to be useful. Good luck cooking.

Ingredients:

  • 14 ounces commercial teriyaki Kikkoman's sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon peeled and chopped gingerroot, to taste

Steps:

  1. In a pan, combine all ingredients over medium low heat.
  2. Reduce by about three-quarters, beginning to taste it about halfway through the reduction. It should be full-flavored and sweet and tangy.
  3. Strain mixture and use.
  4. Spread the mixture with a brush on the unagi, broiling the unagi in oven or grilling it.
  5. You can also let the mixture cool, and store the glaze in a clean bottle in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...