This delicacy is great with bak kut teh. Even though it is just flour and it is oily, it complements bak kut teh. In fact, it is the must order delicacy to go with bak kut teh. Most of the time, if I were to cook my own bak kut teh, I would just take a drive out and buy a few pieces. It only costs about RM0.80 per piece. If I were to do it myself, it could take a very long time. But if you are hardworking and would love to do everything yourself, you should try this recipe. Enjoy.
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- peanut oil
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in water.
- Lightly knead dough. Loosely cover for about 20 minutes, or enough time for the dough to rise.
- On floured surface, roll the dough into 2 inch wide and 14 inch long strips. Twist together in pairs, pinching the ends. Holding each end of twists, pull until 9 inches long.
- Deep fry each twist in peanut oil until golden brown (about 25 seconds). Serve with bak kut teh.