This is a good dish to be served during the Chinese Lunar Year celebration. As abalone is an expensive dish, which costs about RM90 and above, depending on the size of the abalone, we normally only serve abalone during the eve of the Chinese New Year. Previously, abalone takes hours to cook. But now, as canned abalone is available, things are much simpler now. An abalone soup can be prepared and served within minutes. Here are the ingredients you will need and the steps to cook. I hope you will enjoy this recipe.
- 1/2 cup canned abalone, sliced
- 1/3 cup bamboo shoot, sliced
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms (prepared by soaking in hot water for ten minutes, then squeeze and remove stems and slice)
- 1/2 lb chinese greens, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths (bok choy)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 egg
- Bring broth to a boil and add salt if using. Add Chinese greens; boil 2 minutes; add mushrooms and bamboo shoots; boil 5 minutes more. Add abalone before serving. Break raw egg into soup and let set 5 minutes, then stir into soup. Serve hot.